I did a bit of a clean up of the craft room in preparation for U.F.October 2014. Without much digging around, I found a rather impressive collection of UFO's. There is no way I am going to get through them all, so I needed to make some decisions. Why not just tackle them one at a time? Well, because I get distracted easily and witho...SQUIRREL!
Let's just say I needed a plan of attack before they all ended up back in the UFO pile for another year.
Firstly, I clearly defined what UFO meant to me and discarded anything that didn't fit into that category. My UFO criteria was:
- I had to have actually started the project. This ruled out any piles of fabrics and bookmarked pages of potential projects.
- It had to be a project I wanted to see finished. I have a few UFO's that I'm not happy with so don't want to waste precious time on them.
- I wanted to tackle projects that either only had a few things left to do, or would be beneficial for my blog. I.e. quilting projects with associated tutorials.
I also defined what 'finished' meant. I know this sounds a bit weird, but finished for me doesn't always mean a completed product. For example, sometimes my goal is to create a quilt top even though I have no plans to quilt it immediately.
Finally I narrowed it down to the following:
Starting from the top left:
- A cross stitch I started about 20 years ago, complete with yellowing canvas and probably permanent hoop stretching. Might I add, this only has a few outline stitches to go but it still sits there unfinished...mocking me.
- My disappearing nine quilt. In my defense, I was waiting for the rest of the fabric to arrive, but it's here now so time to get cracking.
- My HST quilt that I blogged about here and still haven't progressed with. I'm really not happy with it but have a sneaking suspicion it will look better once it's all together.
- A pair of shorts I made for Mr Sew Today that only need to be taken in. Seriously, this will probably only take an hour yet has sat there for a year.
- The remainder of my Fat Quarter Shop 2013 Designer Mystery BOM blocks. I just want to finish the blocks. I don't even care if I get them sewn together yet. They keep getting pushed aside and it doesn't seem right that, at this rate, the 2014 one will be finished first.
- I want to quilt and bind at least one of the seven? quilt tops I have here.
- A crochet spider for Poppet that I know she'll love but I only got as far as two legs. Another short project that shouldn't have been UFO'd at all.
There you have it. My list for #UFOctober2014. What's on your agenda?