Tuesday 19 May 2015

I Support Local: Bekahdu


This week, for I Support Local, I will again be visiting the art world for a look at the incredibly talented Textile Artist Rebekah of Bekahdu.
Bekahdu Textile Artist: Collage
Image Property of Bekahdu

You may recognise Rebekah’s work from publications such as Down Under Textiles, Art Quilting Studio and Fibre Art Now. Personally, I am in awe of her talent (and for those that don’t know me, these are not words I throw around lightly). I’m the sort of person that looks at a quilt, for example, and will automatically be doing the maths and figuring out how it was made (not to copy it, just because that’s how my mind works). Every piece I see of Rebekah’s has me simply saying “WOW”. I have neither the desire, nor the skill, to even begin to figure out how she does it. All I want to do is sit back and enjoy the wonder before me.

Bekahdu Textile Artist: Seagulls
Image Property of Bekahdu
It’s not just the colour or the “hey, that’s looks like a person” reaction either. You can almost sense the mood of each piece. You can feel the heat of the sun, the sand beneath your feet, hear the birds in the distance. There’s something about seeing Rebekah’s work that just makes you…content.

Bekahdu Textile Artist: Child with Sandcastle
Image Property of Bekahdu
Rebekah has been creating since she was a child but has been practising her current form of art quilting for about three years. Recently, she has joined a group of Textile Artists to hold an exhibition in Brisbane in September 2015 (boy do I wish I still lived up there). Rebekah will have five pieces in the exhibition and is currently running a Kickstarter project to obtain funding to give these pieces the professional finish they require. Last I checked, her project was rocketing along nicely, but be sure to check it out here.

Bekahdu Textile Artist: Child
Image Property of Bekahdu
Until the exhibition, you will have to admire Rebekah’s work from her links below:
Bekahdu Textile Artist
Image Property of Bekahdu
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to convince the other half that we need to visit our 
Brisbane family in September mwahahahahaha <evil laugh>.


Sew Today, Clean Tomorrow: Supporting Local Business

No comments:

Post a Comment