Wednesday 13 August 2014

W.I.P Wednesday - Mini Tutorial for the Trip Around the World Block

Trip Around the World Block
Trip Around the World Block
Remember my W.I.P from last Wednesday? Well, I'm still happily sewing away and should be finished in a few days. I'm so happy in fact, that I thought it would be fun to shake things up this week and release a mini tutorial for the blocks I'm making. These are so simple it's scary, so let's jump straight in.

You can use any number of strips, lengths and widths, but I have chosen 5 strips of 10'' x 2''. I chose this size as I'm using a layer cake, so it made sense.

Sew and press the strips in an order that appeals, remembering that the first and last strips will end up side by side (i.e. avoid putting the same patterns for the first and last strips).
Sew the strips in order.
Note: Press the seams in whatever fashion you like. I have chosen to press them open as it means I don't have to think about which seam goes in which direction. It does, however, mean it's harder to match them up later as they won't nest neatly.

With right sides together, sew the long edge of the first and last strips to make a tube.
Sew the first and last strips together.
The tube after sewing.
Cut the tube in to 5 x 2'' sections (or whatever equals the number of strips and width you are using). Make sure the seams are straight before cutting.
Cut 5 x 2'' sections.
Sections cut.
Take the first section and unpick the seam joining the first and last strips.
Unpick the first and last strips.
The first section unpicked.
Take the remaining four sections and unpick the next seam along on each. You should only be unpicking one seam for each section of tube you cut, and never the same seam twice.

Note: Imagine these images are still in the tube, with the first and last strips joined. You do not need to unpick the first seam each time.
Unpick the next seam in the sequence for each section you cut from the tube.
Your unpicked sections should look something like this, with each strip starting with a different square.
All sections unpicked with a different starting square on each.
Finally, sew the strips in order and press your block.
The final block sewn and pressed.
How easy is that? This is one of my favourite parts of quilting. The funky little ways of doing things that are so simple yet so effective.

This link was shared on...
Little White Dove

4 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing it with us for the Aussie WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous method for making this block. So creative and simple at the are time. Pinning this for another project.... Because I surely don't have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done turorial!

    ReplyDelete