Tuesday 14 October 2014

Free PDF Quilt Pattern: It's All Black and White

Free PDF Quilt Pattern

Release Day is here!!! I'm very excited and a wee bit proud to introduce you to my first quilt pattern It's All Black and White.

I originally created this design as a 'part two' to my Beginner Quilt Along. I was looking for an interesting method for introducing new quilters to half square triangles. During the design phase, I was struggling to find something that both looked good and fit in with the learning strategy I had planned. After a few failed attempts I went back to the drawing board, literally, and drafted a very basic, black and white quilt with triangles...and It's All Black and White was born (a.k.a The Black and White Quilt of Awesomeness).

This PDF is a standard quilt pattern with a few shiny little Sew Today, Clean Tomorrow extras. Here's a sneak peek at the contents:
  • Fabric Requirements
  • Cutting Instuctions
  • Piecing Instructions
  • Backing Options
  • Quilting and Binding
  • Design Template
  • Hints and Tips
  • Alternative Quilt Sizes
At this stage the pattern has only been tested by yours truly. I have taken great care to ensure the information is correct and accurate but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any concerns.

I would love your feedback on this pattern, whether you actually create a quilt or simply read through it. I will use this to ensure my future patterns are more suited to your needs. 

I know you're all as excited as me to download the pattern so here it is. I can't wait to hear what you think.


It's All Black and White Quilt Pattern

13 comments:

  1. I love this pattern, it is very beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it on Craftsy. I was wondering, with your quilting, what color thread did you use? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,

      Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I'm really glad you like the pattern.

      For the quilting, I used Aurifil Monofilament thread for the top. This is an invisible thread, a bit like fishing line. I then just used a black thread in the bobbin, for the back of the quilt. Since I used a different thread for needle and bobbin, I did a few quilting tests to make sure the tension was correct and that you couldn't see the black thread from the front.

      I hope that helps : )

      Rachael.

      Delete
  2. What a striking contrast between the black&white! this is now on my to-do list for my son .....love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D Would you believe it was an accident haha. This was my first pattern and I was struggling to get a design I really liked. I thought "I'll just draw a few pictures in black and white and worry about colour later". Turns out the black and white worked perfectly :)

      Delete
  3. I just downloaded the Black&White quilt pattern and took a quick peak at the pattern, because I was wondering how the triangles were made ......... I am amazed at how easy the blocks are! This is definitely a quick weekend project. Thank you so much for this lovely pattern!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite part of quilting. How a few simple steps can produce such beautiful work. I'm always amazed at how easy some of the seemingly intricate designs are.

      Delete
  4. I recently made this in 2 tone purple. It turned out great and was super easy. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I wish I knew how at attach a picture for you to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I'm so sorry I missed this comment. I'm not sure why as I check them daily. It was posted on my birthday though so maybe I was a bit slack that day tee hee. I would love to see a photo of your quilt. It's sounds delicious. You're welcome to post it on my Facebook page if you like :D

      Delete
  5. I am currently sewing this quilt and love the ease of the design . Im making a queen size so it's not a weekend project but is proceeding nicely. I needed the advice about monofilament for the quilting. I will try. I have been thinking about how to quilt once this beautiful quilt top is finished. I appreciate the advice and help I find here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really loved how easily and quickly this quilt went together. The monofilament was a great touch too. I would definitely recommend getting the best thread you can afford as I've had issues with cheaper versions. The Aurifil I used was fantastic. It was like quilting through butter with a hot knife.

      Please feel free to share a photo on my Facebook page once you're finished. I love seeing everyone's quilts.

      Delete
  6. Love this quilt and pattern! Thanks so much. I am making it with a few changes (just like chefs alter recipes LOL) - keeping the black but subbing in various brights for the white. It will be a charity quilt, hopefully for a teen boy. Patterns/fabrics to suit guys can be so hard to find. Thanks again, and when I complete this I will post a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this pattern. I am a new beginner quilter. much love!

    ReplyDelete