Monday 2 December 2013

Even chores can be festive, right?

My festive dishcloth
The other day I came up with this crazy notion of crocheting dishcloths for Christmas. At first I thought it would brighten up the chores around the festive season but, in all honesty, I think I just wanted to crochet something cool. I use the term 'cool' very loosely when talking about crocheting dishcloths.

Before we begin, I should probably point out that I am far from an expert at crocheting. I'm not even an experienced beginner. In fact, half the time, I think it's just luck that I have the hook pointing in the right direction. 

Prior to this project, I had been working on some beautiful Fresh Stitches amigurumi patterns. Apparently my brain was still in that head space because I was about halfway through my dishcloth when I realised I had been crocheting through the back loop only. I was very close to pulling it all apart and starting again when I realised that the texture was perfect. Soft and smooth on one side with slightly rougher ridges on the other. Great for scrubbing. And for the record...Yes, I did get a little excited about scrubbing with my new dishcloth.

Soft and smooth on the front
Good old scrubbin' ridges on the back
Without further ado, here is my super-easy crocheted dishcloth pattern.

Note: I have used US terms for the stitches. Also remember to crochet through the back loop only if you want the smooth/ridged effect.

ch = Chain
st = stitch
sc = Single Crochet
dc = Double Crochet
sl st = Slip Stitch
sk = skip
  • ch 2
  • sc 8 times into the 2nd ch from hook (8)
  • (sc 1, sc 3 in next st) 4 times (16)
  • sc in next 2 st, (sc 3 in next st, sc in next 3 st) 3 times, sc 3 in next st, sc in next st (24)
  • sc in next 3 st, (sc 3 in next st, sc in next 5 st) 3 times, sc 3 in next st, sc in next 2 st (32)
  • sc in next 4 st, (sc 3 in next st, sc in next 7 st) 3 times, sc 3 in next st, sc in next 3 st (40)
  • sc in next 5 st, (sc 3 in next st, sc in next 9 st) 3 times, sc 3 in next st, sc in next 4 st (48)
  • Continue in this pattern, of sc 3 in each corner st, until the dishcloth reaches 96 stitches (another 6 rounds)
For the scalloped edge:
  • sl st until you reach the first corner st
  • sl st into the corner st then ch 2, dc 3 (also into the corner)
  • *(sk 2, sc 1, sk 2, dc 5) 3 times
  • sk 2, sc 1, sk 2, dc 8** (note: the dc 8 should always fall on a corner st)
  • Repeat from * to ** 2 more times
  • (sk 2, sc 1, sk 2, dc 5) 3 times
  • sk 2, sc 1, sk 2, dc 4
  • join to 2nd ch
  • Fasten and weave in ends
Back view of my little festive beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment