Monday 1 September 2014

My Plan for World Domination...or "Let's Talk Business"

Did you hear? Sew Today, Clean Tomorrow is now officially a business. HOORAY!!! I'm all registered up and ready to go. I thought this would be a great opportunity to leap into a monologue about my evil plans talk more about why I'm doing this. 

Why a business?
Earlier this year we made the decision for me to quit work and become 'just' a stay-at-home Mum. Visions of piƱa coladas and palm fronds danced dizzily through my head...until about 6:30am on the first day. Then I discovered what was really involved. It's hard, it's exhausting and it's smelly. I love being here for Pepper, though, and want to continue doing so when she starts school in a few years. I have no delusions that running a home business is easy, but, the flexibility it offers suits with me just fine. Plus, I get wear my jammies to work. Win!

Are you sure you're ready?
Can anyone ever really be sure? I'm fairly confident my previous experience with project management has provided me with a number of planning and risk management skills that will come in handy. The past two years have been spent stalking Facebook and soaking up all the little questions and issues raised by other businesses. I've researched business ideas such as making bags, men's clothes, clothing patterns, selling at markets, etc. and changed my mind about a hundred times. Finally, I've settled on an idea that allows me to focus on my strengths, encourage creativity and provide financial opportunities without me having to work my fingers to the bone just to break even (I hope). 

Oooo I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
I'm not going to give away too much here, sorry. I can tell you, though, that I will be using both this blog and an online shop to create, discuss and sell my own patterns. I'm not really looking to take over the world and I don't fancy a private jet. I'm just after a small business venture to pay the bills and keep me off the streets. 

Hang on, did you say you would use the blog? I'm not sure I like that.
Don't worry, the blog won't suddenly become an advertisement-ridden, sponsor-driven desperate plea for dollars. In fact, it won't really change much at all. I will still be offering free tutorials and quilt alongs. The Facebook group will remain open and the beginner quilt along will continue to be made available. It will all simply grow and be used to offer further support to my patterns. 

Where to from here?
Well, in all honesty, it's still early days. I'm in the process of drafting patterns and talking to wholesalers. I don't imagine you will see much from your end for a few months, but, you can rest assured that it is all moving ahead quickly and will be very exciting once we get there.

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you, Rachy! If anyone an do it, you can, you are so creative and smart and talented! This will be so rewarding, plus having an ABN is so great for a bunch of things:) best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw thanks. So far it's been a massive eye opener and just a wee bit of a headache. Once I'm settled I think it'll be a wonderful adventure :D

    ReplyDelete