Tuesday 16 September 2014

W.I.P Wednesday: Black and White Awesomeness

Black and white quilt preview
A preview of my black and white quilt.
You've seen the pictures, now it's time to hear the story. Today I have decided to interview myself and discuss the funkiness of my latest quilt.

Why this pattern?
I wanted to create a suitable 'next step' quilt for the Beginner Quilt Along participants. Something with slightly more interesting techniques, but still simple enough not to be intimidating. It absolutely had to have half-square triangles (HSTs) as they are my bestest friend forever in quilting.
Black and white half-square triangles
I love HSTs!!!
Why black and white?
To be honest, the black and white was an accident. I was playing around with a few different colour schemes and couldn't quite get the balance I wanted of pretty yet uncomplicated. I threw black and white into my draft because I wanted to see the contrasting blocks. I had planned on then experimenting with colour, but, it looked so great I simply had to go with it.
Single black and white blocks
Even as single blocks they look great.
Don't worry if you're not a fan of black and white. It actually looks pretty funky in a range of colours. I'm already planning red and white, and I think Pepper is eyeing off a pink and white one.

When can I get my hands on this awesomeness? 
Woah there cowboy. The pattern won't be ready for a few weeks yet. I'm hoping to use this as a kind of global test for my future patterns. I really want to make sure it's correct before I release it. I'm then hoping for a lot of feedback to help me ensure my future patterns are exactly what you want. Follow my blog via email, using the email box on the right-hand side, and you will be notified when the pattern is released. Alternatively, you can follow me on bloglovin.

Did you say free?
Um, no...but it will be. As I said, I will be using this as a test run for future patterns. By providing feedback you are helping me just as much as I will have helped you. It's a circle of life thing.
Black and white quilt top again
Another look because it's just too funky.
What do you think? Have I pulled it off or is it a bit try-hard? Comment below with your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. Great job! Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :D I can't wait to hear what you think of the pattern once it's available.

      Delete