Tuesday 19 August 2014

10 Quilty Little Secrets

13 Spools

I saw the list of 10 Quilty Little Secrets over at Molli Sparkles and couldn't help but write my own. The original post is from 13 Spools. Be sure to check both sites out if you want a bit of a chuckle.

Here are my 10 Quilty Little Secrets:
  1. I nearly always use Clover Wonder Clips instead of pins. In fact, about the only time I use pins is when I run out of clips.
  2. I'm not a fan of machine stitched binding. I much prefer the look of hand stitched. I am quite useless at stitching binding neatly by machine though, so that my have something to do with it.
  3. I hate it when people tell me I "HAVE TO" do it this way or "DON'T" do it that way. Shouty capitals make me cranky (so much so that it required a ranty post all on it's own).
  4. I'm too scared that the cool kids (i.e. real quilt bloggers) won't like me so I just quietly blog over here, by myself. I'm like a little fish in a completely different pond to all the big fish hahaha.
  5. I take no sides in the traditional vs modern quilt debate. My approach is usually more along the lines of  "ooooo pretty".
  6. I rarely finish a quilt the way I originally planned. More often than not, the layout is completely different.
  7. I spend more time researching techniques online, and in books or magazines, than I do actually sewing.
  8. I rarely prewash my fabric. Heck, I rarely even wash my quilts once they're finished.
  9. I buy precuts because I'm lazy...and they're usually too cute to pass up.
  10. I love my basting spray and would probably marry it if the Government wasn't so opposed to such things.
What are your quilty little secrets? Comment below and let's see what evil lurks in the minds of my readers MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA (that's my evil laugh).

12 comments:

  1. Ok, loved this post (and I'm too scared to read the capitals post as I may be an offender).

    I am with you on #5. I like to tell people who are looking to label me that "I'm a contemporary quilter" and then watch their faces.

    I'm with you on #4 and it always causes me much weirdness when someone tells me they read my blog. It's like getting caught singing in the car to the radio.

    Yep to #8 - I'm such a lazy housewife at the best of times why would I add to my burden by washing stuff?!?

    I've just become a fan of the pre-cut jelly roll stripes in place of actually cutting sashing. From now on all sashing will be 2.5" in my quilts!

    Great read - looking forward to reading more. Love finding new cool people! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I was stalking you just the other day. Love the Naughty-cal Weekender ; )

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree with you re #5. Oh yes indeedy. I'm trying to figure out a blog post on that one but it's not happening as yet. #10: Spray basting is my friend. #2: I had a brief dalliance with machine stitched binding but have come back to hand stitched; it's a great relaxing way to end the quilting process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hand stitching my binding. It's like a reminder that, no matter how many mistakes I think I've made during the piecing or quilting, I still created this entire beautiful quilt by myself. A very satisfying feeling.

      Delete
  3. I hate pin basting and I have never tried the spray baste. I think I am going to have to buy a can and try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use 505 as it seemed to be the most recommended. It's fantastic. I always dreaded basting but now it's not quick so bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to throw a parade every time I have to baste a quilt, but I don't hide in the corner, sobbing anymore ; )

      Delete
  4. I love the spray basting! I use the 505 or whatever else is on sale, and stock up then. It is sooooo much easier to stop the puckering on the back. I still pin it just in case, but only use 1/4 of the pins - I actually enjoy that part of quilting, when I used to dread it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same Terri. Basting is no longer the work of the devil lol.

      Delete
  5. In my humble opinion, you are a cool blogger. This is the first post of your that I have read but it is witty and now I need to go read more of your writing. ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Gosh, I'm really feeling the love this morning. Thanks so much :)

      Delete